It’s been a while since we heard from Texan metal veterans Helstar, but now they are back!
This is the first time the band have written a straightforward metal ballad like new single Black Wings of Solitude, and it happened by accident. Initially, Helstar were supposed to write a song for a horror movie, and the producer wanted a cool metal ballad but nothing too complicated. Larry (Barragan, guitars) and James (Rivera, vocals) kind of threw this song together in about two days. Now, two years have passed since the song was written, the movie sadly is nowhere to be seen, but Helstar grew so fond of the song, that they felt it needed to be released.
There is also an official video available for Black Wings Of Solitude, which takes the song to another whole level – watch it below!
The 7″ single also includes a cover version of Black Sabbath‘s After All (The Dead). It’s not that much of a secret that Ronnie James Dio is James’ personal hero. Furthermore, James considers the best years of Black Sabbath to be those with Ronnie being at the helm of the microphone. So, with this cover, James is paying respect to his hero.
• The new 7″ single by Helstar – Black Wings of Solitude – is also available to download and stream.
• Mixed by Martin “Mattes” Pfeiffer at Redhead Studios, Wilhelmshaven (Germany).
• Mastered by Stefan Kaufmann at ROXX Studio, Solingen (Germany).
• Cover artwork by John Fossum.
• Guitars and vocals produced by Larry Barragan at Hombre Malo Studio in Houston, TX.
• Bass produced and recorded by Garrick Smith at Wizards Keep Studio in Houston, TX.
• Drums produced and recorded by Mikey Lewis at The Foundry Studio in Stafford, TX.
Helstar’s new 7″ single, Black Wings of Solitude, releases on October 2nd.